Saturday, June 11, 2011

Your 1st of Many Mission Trips

From Mama...

It never ceases to amaze me that God allows us to serve Him in His kingdom purposes! What a blessing it is to be able to do missions. Your first mission trip was to Washington, D.C. My eyes become misty talking about this trip. I went excited to spend time with students, expectant to see God move, and ready to serve the people of Washington, D.C. I left overwhelmed by God's love and how He expressed it to me through other leaders and students. One thing I want you to understand is that sharing the Gospel and doing mission work is not an option for Christians. It is a privilege and a command. We serve and love all people, no matter what they look, smell, or act like because He loves us unconditionally. When you are older, I dare you to pray that God will allow you to see people through His eyes. You will never see people the same again. Anyway, back to the trip, I flew up on Saturday morning to meet everyone (they all rode a bus, but I had to work Thursday and Friday). I was so happy when I found out that your dad and I would be serving together at a place called SOME - So Others May Eat. We got to experience your first day of missions together. At some your dad worked in the kitchen preparing food - you should have seen him in person in that hair net!! The first round I helped in the assembly line of putting food on the plates. The second round I helped pour coffee for those partaking of the meal. This place not only serves meals, but they offer medical and dental services along with a variety of other things. It was a great day!
Throughout the trip, people were so incredibly kind to me. Mrs. Tracy (Casey's mom) brought lotion and rubbed my feet one day. I was stunned (not because she doesn't do nice things, but because she had thought about me before the day started and did something that most will not do - rub another's feet). It blessed my physical body and my spirit! Students were so thoughtful too. They would carry my backpack, help me up, give up there seat, etc. without me saying a word. They would just offer. I constantly had people asking how I was doing. One time I was at a concert at the FDR memorial. I went to the restroom and there was a line. As I waited I became sick due to the smell and the heat. I felt better and went outside to the concert. In the middle of the concert, I suddenly felt sick again. I sprinted back to the nasty bathroom. I started throwing up so hard my Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Ice Cream started coming out my nose (disgusting but necessary to understand the story). Rae Scruggs, a BBC student, saw me and came in the restroom to check on me. When I walked out, chocolate milkshake was on my shirt, my mascara was running down my face, and I was sweating. I was disgusted. She immediately got a paper towel and started cleaning me up. I will never forget her wiping that chocolate milkshake off my shirt. God used her to love on me. When I tried to thank her, she told me that she had prayed for an opportunity to invite people to the concert. She had walked around the memorial looking for people but they were all in tourist groups. When she saw me and came into the restroom, there were some girls in there that she got to invite. She said God used the situation to answer her prayer. I hope you love and serve people like Rae and Mrs. Tracy did for me, not for your glory but for His.

No comments:

Post a Comment